I’m an advocate for student leadership in youth ministry.
I think it’s vital for our students to take ownership of the youth ministry, and I believe it’s important that youth workers work to equip teenagers for leadership.
With that said, I’m currently working with my friends at LeaderTreks to create a summer opportunity for students in our ministry who want to lead or grow in their Leadership.
We’re going to call this summer laboratory experience “Leadership U”.
Here are a few details of the structure I’ve put together:
- The program will last 8 weeks (could last 10) during the summer.
- The costs will be $50 to apply (covers application fee, materials, etc).
- There will be 6 (could be up to 8) training sessions for participants with coaching from yours truly.
- Participants will engage in several team initiatives during the program.
- Each teen will be registered to attend the Student Leadership Conference with Doug Fields.
- Students will have at least one opportunity to lead a project during the summer.
- We will walk through LeaderTreks’ Start Here book together.
- The participants will receive a certificate at the end of the summer program recognizing their achievement.
I’d love to see other youth workers execute something like this in their youth groups over
the summer, so feel free to rip this off. If I can help advise you in making this happen for your youth group, feel free to contact me.
And don’t miss the next This Week in Youth Ministry Podcast (airing tomorrow, Thursday, April 9, 2015) featuring my friend and guest Doug Franklin, president of LeaderTreks! Doug and I will be talking about how YOU can build a Student Leadership Team from scratch! So fun!